Artichoke Avocado Toast
- 1 lemon
- 4-6 fresh baby artichokes
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil, plus more for drizzling
- 4 slices whole-grain bread (*see note)
- ½ small garlic clove
- 1 small avocado
- 1 scallion, diced
- 2 red radishes and/or 1 small watermelon radish, thinly sliced
- 2 tablespoons chopped dill
- 1 tablespoon hemp seeds, optional
- sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Fill a medium bowl with water and add the juice of ¼ of the lemon. Slice the rest of the lemon into wedges. Reserve one wedge for later, and add the remaining lemon wedges to the water. Transfer the artichokes to the lemon water as you work. Cut off the top quarter of the artichokes, about 1 inch. Remove and discard the first 3 to 4 layers of dark green outer leaves. Trim the stems to ½ inch, then use a paring knife to peel away the woody part of the stems. Slice the artichokes in half lengthwise. Use a small spoon to remove the fuzzy choke from each half. Leave the artichokes in the lemon water until you’re ready to use them.
To view the full recipe, click here.