Caprese Grilled Cheese with Arugula Pesto
- Sourdough or rustic bread
- fresh mozzarella, sliced
- sliced tomatoes
- Butter and olive oil for the pan
Arugula Pesto ( makes one cup)
- 2 large garlic cloves
- ¼ C smoked Almonds ( or toasted almonds)
- 1 Cup packed Basil leaves( or flat leaf parsley)
- 2 Cups packed Arugula
- ⅓ C olive oil, plus 1 T
- ⅛ C fresh lemon juice
- ½ tsp kosher salt (if your almonds are salted, use less)
- cracked pepper
- Preheat oven to 375F
- Make Arugula Pesto:
- Place garlic, almonds, basil and arugula in the food processor and pulse until finely chopped.
- Add olive oil, lemon juice, salt and pepper. Pulse until combined, scraping down sides as necessary. (This recipe is intentionally a little salty and quite lemony if tasted on its own. It’s meant to flavor the sandwich, or could be tossed with pasta, or even mixed with a little mayo (or veganaise) for a flavorful sandwich spread.)
- Layer fresh mozzarella, tomatoes and arugula pesto between two slices of bread. Heat 1 T butter and 1 T olive oil in a heavy bottom oven proof skillet. Lightly brown each side place in the hot oven. Bake until cheese is melty, about 10 minutes.
Click here to view the full recipe.